Monday, October 11, 2010

500 million friends and counting...


The Social Network is the movie that defines the decade. It tells the story of the founders of the social-media phenomenon, Facebook. It starts in 2003, in a geeky dorm room in Harvard University and spirals out of control taking over the the campuses of Ivy Leagues and collages, making a few enemies on the way, and what can I say, the rest is history! Mark Zuckerberg played by Jesse Eisenberg, the brains behind TheFacebook.com is wonderfully cast, his sharp wit is exactly what you expect from such an intelligent guy, there are some great one liners! The script is cleverly written, and even though I'm not down on my algorithms or up on my de-coding, I was in awe of the technical references, I found it incredibly baffling and couldn't take my eyes off it! Justin Timberlake takes on the role of Sean Parker, the Napster giant, a paranoid and complex individual, with equally impressive talent as Zuckerberg. I thought he did a great job at tackling the character, he really portrayed him well, even down to the long engaging stares as he tells his slightly exaggerated success stories at a rate of 100mph! What' s even more interesting is that depending which way you look at it, all the leading character could be seen as the villan or the hero, its a really interesting story, with no defining right or wrong. The film opens in cinemas at the end of next week and I couldn't rate it more, I think I could safely say its the best film I've seen all year, impressive to say the least. Although there is bound to be controversy around the topic, and how close to the truth the story is, the real Zuckerberg already quoted as saying that he wished they'd waited until he was dead before making a film about him, I'd take some bits with a pinch of salt and decide for yourself, did he steal Facebook from the Winklevoss twins?

No comments:

Post a Comment